Thursday, November 10, 2011

Zion Beauty: Views from Angels Landing

In a past post, I showed you photos from my Angels Landing hike in Zion National Park in August of 2010.  Here are some of the beautiful views from that hike.
The path beckons....I'm drawn in.  What's around the bend?
Walter's Wiggles--looking up from near the top.  I love the play of light in this photo.
Walter’s Wiggles, named after the first superintendent of Zion, are a series of 21 tight switchbacks carved into the face of the rock cliff in 1926. This trail remains one of the park’s most spectacular construction wonders.  
"In 1985....Walter's Wiggles was resurfaced with 88 cubic yards of concrete, and the concrete for this job was hauled onto the site by helicopter. This took 258 flights. WHEW!" *
a view from Walter's Wiggles.  Zion is a veritable botanic wonderland.  Almost 800 species of plants abound in the park--from desert flora to mossy gardens, flowers, and trees.
Sandstone cliffs of golds, oranges, and rust contrast with the deep green of flora and the azure sky.
Scout Lookout
at the top!

LINKS:
NPS FAQ Zion's hiking trails 
Angels Landing  my blog post 11/4/2011 with links
Zion  my blog post 10/13/2011 with links


I'm so happy Ms Jenny has decided to do another round of Alphabe-Thursday! This is such a fun meme!  Thank you, Ms Jenny!  Come and join in the fun!  You will be charmed and even enlightened in a delightful way!  See more entries HERE. This week our letter is "B."  (B is for Beauty!)

I'm also participating in SkyWatch Friday, another fun meme with lovely photographs from all over the world!  SkyWatch Friday is hosted by Wren, fishing guy, Sylvia, Klaus, and Sandy.


photos by me © 2010 

24 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rocky landscape! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post... it reminds me of some of my hikes as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful captures here. My family loved Angel's Landing.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular! I was in Zion back in the mid '50's - so long ago. Would love to return and walk that pathway...

    Thank you for bringing back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, and I'm still jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Cathy! The rocky landscape is so beautiful11

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my take me to the top! So very cool! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still wanting to follow those trails myself! It's such a gorgeous place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another set of gorgeous photos, Margaret! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really beautiful photos, and what an awesome place to hike!

    Thanks for visiting the RPO blog -- I hope you will come again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the Beginning of the path looks like something I could travel. Oh, it's so Beautiful! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos always make me want to get out...and take a vacation!
    Luckily it's actually nice here today...so I'm getting out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am determined to get nice and healthy so I can return to hiking (and not worry about kidney stones). Your posts keep me inspired.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was a kid, my dad took us on long vacations to many of the national parks. I saw pictures, but, we never got to go to Zion. Thanks for the 'look'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this post. Zion's been on my list for so long. After seeing these photos, my interest in renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great captures!
    Love the views.
    Greetings from Holland,
    Anna :-))

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful pictures. It's like a mini vacation for me, I really need one bad!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing the landscapes of this most wonderful park.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful place! I'd love to hike up those switchbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never been there, but this is definitely going on my bucket list!

    What gorgeous pictures!

    If the reality is half as pretty as the images I'm gonna be walking around with my jaw dropped all day!

    Thanks for a lovely link for the letter A.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous park! The reality is much greater than these images show!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful place - all the more so because it reminds me of a couple of places I've hiked downunder here in Australia!! Who knew it would look so similar??!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is like just one more invitation to go there, no?! OK, already! I'm going to go...one of these days!! heehee

    I missed the posting deadline for Alphabe-Thursday this week...feel free to stop by, tho... :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!