Wednesday, August 17, 2016

beautiful moth (Ateva aurea)

A few days ago, I was passing by Granny's Garden, a wonderful school garden, and the gorgeous bright Summer-colored flowers were calling to me.  So I stopped to wander among those lovely flowers and vegetables.  I peered in closer.  On a celosia flower, I spotted this pretty-patterned creature I thought was a beetle.  turns out, it's a moth!

Ateva aurea, is an ermine webworm moth from the family Yponomeutidae (means "feeding secretly").

LINKS:
MORE about this moth--Butterflies and Moths of North America (A. aurea is found from the eastern to the midwest USA and dips into Canada and Mexico.)
Granny's Garden School


Wordless Wednesday/Wordy Wednesday--where I linked up:


Create With Joy






A Southern Daydreamer





ABC Wednesday
This week's challenge is the letter F.  F is for flying.




photo by me © 2016   all rights reserved

13 comments:

  1. Very cool! I never would have guessed "moth" from looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful.... at the right time at the right place you were to capture this magnificent sight.

    Have a nice ABC-W-day / – week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/19-f/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We surely don't have moths that look like that here in NY!!! Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeding secretly....mmmm, interesting photo.
    JM, IL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the flower and the moth are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic find and great photo capture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors in your photo. I sometimes feed secretly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool pattern! He definitely looks different with his wings all closed up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Especially on the pink flower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a caterpillar! We don't have moths out here let alone beautiful ones like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prettiest moth I've ever seen. Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photo. The first time I ever saw one of those in flight I thought it was a butterfly. Their wings patterns are really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!