Monday, August 17, 2009

Asheville

stroll with me down the streets of Asheville, North Carolina, USA , and get a few small glimpses of what makes this town unique...
In July, my son and I visited my daughter who lives in Asheville.

The Corner Kitchen in the Biltmore Village







a garden shop in an alleyway

on Lexington Street









Early Girl Eatery (see first photo) (NOTE: interesting window display, but restaurant not recommended)




lovely blooming crepe myrtle trees line the streets









a secret respite












mime: There are always street performers displaying their talent

















tile on a storefront


old architecture
(below)










heavenly truffles from The Chocolate Lounge


few random suggestions from my daughter: RESTAURANTS: Rezaz-can reserve a spot at the chef's table in the kitchen while he cooks a special meal just for you; Enotecca-Italian wine bar & more, great desserts. GROVE PARK INN-has a world renowned spa, can get a day pass. GALLERIES: Blue Spiral, Front, Satellite (downtown), Flood (river arts district where there are many studios that artists will let you walk through if they are there). DRIVE on the Blue Ridge Parkway
PS I was planning on doing a post on Asheville at some point, but hearing that Athena Workman will be visiting for her wedding anniversary in October spurred me on to get it done. I will be doing another post of our hike in the mountains.
photos by me © 2009 except Corner Kitchen which is also ©

22 comments:

  1. Asheville is really nice! My mom has some friends who retired there and they love it. We don't live all that far away, but we haven't been there in years - it looks as if it's really grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun things to do here! And great recommendations1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, the Asheville post!

    Splendid, do you remember where that alleyway garden shop is? I'd love to peek in there.

    I've eaten at Early Girl. Sadly, not a great meal (it's the only time I've ever choked in surprise because my first bite was so *bland*).

    Thanks for the pix! I can't wait to hit the Chocolate Lounge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what beautiful photo's! Your town looks wonderful - when can I come visit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the places I hope to visit!

    And I can almost taste the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post - one of the great things about blogging is enjoying such virtual trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to NC, but know a handful of people who've lived or visited there. I've heard nothing but great things. Looks like you had a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your Asheville trip! I so love it there! Spent much of my youth there and in surrounding area! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great stroll...and how cool that she gets a sneak peek b4 her anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful trip around Asheville! I was there briefly once just to go to the Biltmore Estate but it appears that I need to make Asheville a vacation destination since it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That town looks wonderful!! I love the alley way garden shop and the chocolate...YUMM! Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for the tour! Looks like a magical place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like such a lovely town! Thanks for the little tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, just wanted to leave a comment to say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts today. You have a great blog, and I love your pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them !

    ReplyDelete
  15. The CHOCOLATE LOUNGE??!! I'd never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This city looks very beautiful! I would love to visit it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the comment about not eating at the eatery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always wanted to go to Ashville, and this has made me want to go even more! Thanks for all of the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love Ashville -- would move there in a heartbeat...

    thanks for sharing
    blessings,
    Rosalind

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Eatery photo - the comment made me smile: I once went into a sandwich bar in London named Salmonella. Sadly, it was prophetic and I ended up taking a few days off work...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!