Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Black Bean Salsa

This is a fabulous recipe which I've tweaked over time.  The beauty of it is, that you can use as little or as much of each ingredient as you wish.  Every time I serve this salsa it gets rave reviews.



Ingredients 
onion, tomatoes, chilies, corn
♦2 cans of black beans rinsed and drained
♦1/4 C chopped onion (use your favorite)
♦2 ears of fresh corn, shucked (of course!) and cut off the cobs
♦@ 10-12 oz or @ 2 C chopped tomatoes
♦1/2 of a 4 oz can of chopped green chilies
cilantro from my garden
♦1/4 - 1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro (1 T more or less when chopped finely)
♦1 t olive oil
♦salt and pepper to taste
♦2 avocados, diced (ripe but still firm)
♦2 limes, zest and juice


Directions
chopped avocado marinating in lime juice
♦Dump rinsed and drained black beans into a bowl.
♦Add onion, tomatoes, corn, chilies, and cilantro. 
♦Mix.
♦Add oil, salt, and pepper to bean mixture and stir.
♦Zest and juice both limes.  Add zest and half of juice to bean mixture.  Mix.  Set aside rest of juice.
♦Dice avocados and pour reserved lime juice over them.  Mix gently.
♦Add avocados to bean mixture and mix gently.
(Instead of chilies, you could add chopped hot peppers or pepper powder.)
Serve with chips.
served on a bed of mixed greens with chips as an entree, garnished with a sprig of cilantro blossoms

PS:
♦I read a great way to grow cilantro is to plant it crowded together and to keep snipping off the top leaves.  This is because it goes to seed very quickly.
♦Judie says sliced radishes add zing!


A new round of  Alphabe-Thursday has begun!  This is such a fun meme!  I know that you too, dear reader, would love to join in.  So come on over HERE ---join in and/or visit others' submissions.  This week our letter is "B."
[Sorry, Ms. Jenny.  no broccoli cheese.  I hope I still get an A though.  ;-)  ]

photos by me © 2012     all rights reserved

18 comments:

  1. That not only looks delicious but it's so pretty too. Love the cilantro blossoms on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and sounds delicious. That would be a great meal for a hot summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For an added zing, sliced radishes are wonderful. I just had some in a very similar salsa last week. This is a great recipe, SLS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My vegan, black bean loving daughter can eat this!!

    But I wanted to put the whole cob in, not just the kernels..... :p

    Happy Alphabe-Thursday on Wednesday! I just posted mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black bean salsa! I looked at the photos first and thought, "well, I don't add flowers to mine." Then I read what they were--clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! Perfect for summer. I love avocado so I'm always a little biased when it's in a recipe, but you're right that there are so many ways that you can customize this to suit your own tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking for summer salads and that looks like a keeper! xo Jenny S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I copy your recipe, please? Jenny S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I made something similar for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love salsa at our house! Yum! Thanks for the share! Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy! i do love fresh salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm! Looks yummy and has two of my favorites - black beans and avacados!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh this looks fantastic! I think I'd just eat it by the spoonful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really yummy. I would even like a scoop of this on a tossed green salad!

    And how beautiful the cilantro blossom is on top. At first I thought that was Queen Anne's lace! So gorgeous and lacy.

    Thanks for sharing a beautiful and bountiful recipe with us this week.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!