Thursday, June 11, 2009

butterflies (number two)

Buttterflies taste with their feet and drink nectar with their proboscis, a straw-like tongue.
This is a Julia (Dryas iulia). It is native from Brazil to southern Texas and Florida. In summer, it can be found straying north into the central US. This butterfly feeds on the nectar of flowers such as lantana. Its caterpillars feed on the leaves of passion vines. It belongs to the family brush-footed butterflies (Nymphalidae). This photo was taken in April at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

Here is my post butterflies ( number one).
photo by me ©2009

14 comments:

  1. That butterfly is so beautiful, I have never seen one like that before. Wow.

    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the photograph is awesome, are you the photographer?

    I love butterflies, and planted almost my entire backyard just for them. Then I was injured and had to give it up... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm the photographer! (Taking photos is a family trait.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo! The colors in this are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photo! And thanks for the bit of information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic is awesome! The colors are perfect for today - I need something sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing capture !! really loved the butterfly sucking nectar from the flower..Great close up shot..Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this Kreativity should not go unrewarded. I have a little goodie for you.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So delicate and so beautiful! Wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty wild. Thanks for reminding me to look for some lantana for my window boxes. I love it! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome photo! The colors are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome picture, what a beautiful color it is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Photography, it has made me want to visit my area botanical gardens!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!