Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mystery Money

Here I am participating in my very first Saturday Centus hostessed by the wonderful Ms Jenny.  It's not her first however, it's her 100th! 


Ms Jenny gives us a prompt of x number of words (53 in this case) and then allows us 100 additional words to create a story.

So without further ado, here's mine.  The prompt is in blue.


I hadn’t been on this property since I was a young girl.  The old barn where I used to feed and groom Jimmy had partially rotted.   Vines crawled over the dilapidated building.    Out in the field beyond, self-seeded corn was waving in the breeze.  Seeing crows land, I ran without thinking to scare them away.  I tripped and almost fell.  Straightening up and brushing myself off I noticed that my shoe was untied. And this was it—the little trip that changed my life.    Yes. 

My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground.  

How astounding!  Here was the money that was lost so long ago!  Oh!  If only….  


To see more entries, go HERE

photo by me © 2008    all rights reserved (a barn in Blanchard, Idaho)

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the description of the barn and the "self-seeded" corn - it gives the sense of age and past. I also like how your voice belnded so well with the prompt. And that last "if only..." left a taste of sadness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really fun prompt! I really enjoyed reading your story:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I found a wad of hundred dollar bills:)

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great shot of that wonderful old barn. Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. How cool! I liked your unique take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh...I LOVE your photo! Makes me happy we live in the country :)
    Great story and fun meme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so much fun! What will she do with the money? {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love that old barn. It is very like one at my childhood home, the post you read I think. I don't really have any photos of it as such, will have to look. If I do they would be on film and that's so 'yesterday'....no time consuming, scanning etc. Anyhow I enjoyed your post and thankyou for becoming my follower.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!